Tuesday, June 17, 2008

USG purchase

I made another USG purchase this morning. It is a building materials (mostly wall board) stock that I have been holding for the past six or so months looking for the bottom of the housing market. I just bought some more about a month ago. I think Warren Buffet was also getting in at around that time. It has gone down more (-9.6%) since then, but I'm looking at it as a really long term buy and trying to hit the bottom with consecutive purchases to bring my cost average down as it continues to drop. With the flooding in the mid-west I'm betting there will be a lot of wall board purchased in the next six months so I'm buying more and may do another purchase in a week depending on what the stock does in the next few days.

This was a 2.2% (of my account) purchase of USG, and puts my complete USG holdings at 5.5% of my account. Before this purchase it was down around 15% and now it is down around 11%. Think long term...

I also really like the 5 year chart.

My account has continued to fluctuate. It opened yesterday at +8.2% for the year and is sitting today at +10% for the year. There was a big drop in FNM and FMC and I'm continuing to look at it. GE dropped a bunch more and I'm really glad I sold it when I did. Wouldn't go near it right now. I got the papers for the Activision/Blizzard deal and voted for the merger last night. I rarely proxy vote so this is one I'm really excited about.

No comments: