Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Finally sold SUNW/JAVA

I've been holding SUNW/JAVA (Sun Microsystems) since the dot com boom and bust. I used to work there and loved the company and have been holding it for all the wrong reasons. It was a 7% investement which is now less than 1%. I loved Scott McNeally, but can't stand the current ceo (Jonathan Schwartz) and will not even link to him from this blog. He is a devisive leader who excludes smart people from his decisions and made a mess with Java when he led the software group. I have no idea why Scott hand picked him as CEO? The best leaders are inclusive not devisive. Anyway, I wish they had a better leader, that is the whole problem with the company.

In 2000 I called a broker to tell him I wanted to sell all my SUNW (a 45% holding) and he talked me out of it. Within a month it was 1/3 of what it had been at. I fired the broker and my account has still not reached that peak again (I'm still over 14% per year since inception). I'm sure this is a common story. If things go as planned, I'll reach that peak again in 2010.

No comments: