Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Sony, GTA4 and may buy more shares

I almost bought another 3% Sony/SNE to take my total holdings to 10% of my account. I liked this article on the console shootout. and agree with Sony in this regard since I would be one of those PS2 owners who would finally like to purchase a PS3 and some of my earlier posts related similar stores of other PS2 owners.


Sony's also expecting "Grand Theft Auto IV" to drive sales of its PlayStation 3 console, although Steinberg is quick to point out that it's just an "exclamation mark" in its 2008 lineup.

Over the years, only a few brands really affected sales of the Playstation 2, Steinberg says. "Grand Theft Auto" happens to be one of those titles. Sony's cherished hope: PS2 owners, who have been waiting for "Grand Theft Auto IV" before they traded up for a next-generation console, will now head to the stores--but will stick with the Sony brand.


The fact that is not mentioned in this article is that Metal Gear Solid is waiting in the wings for a June launch. To me this is a one two punch that will finally make the PS3 a more popular console than the PS2 and get a lot of people to upgrade. Add the Blue-Ray win on top of that and I think that Sony hit a grand slam home run that no one has noticed yet and the stock is hovering at a two year low, always a great time to buy.

Another thing to think about is if you buy an XBox360 you get an HD-DVD player which is now only useful for XBox games and you have to buy a separate bluyray player to get next generation movie content so the PS3 is actually cheaper than an XBox in the long run.

I'll probably purchase that last 3% tomorrow to make SNE a 10% holding in my account. This would be a big holding and I rarely get to or go above 10% unless I really believe I have a large upside with limited risk. This fits that in my outlook.

No comments: